Small Desk space storage idea



It has been almost five months since we moved into our new bigger place and sorting our home out has more or less slowed down, however, I am still cracking my brains on new/better ways to store/display my things in my work room.

With my new work room, I had the chance to upgrade my desk size to a 160cm long Bekant from Ikea. It allows me to have a side for graphic design on my iMac and another side to accommodate desktop easel usage/weaving/entertaining friends during craft parties. It is quite an ample sized personal desk, so to say I have small desk space is an understatement. However, I only wanted to use a small part of my desk to store stationery, so I have been looking around.

I previously had acrylic pen/stationery holders from Muji and one of them is still on my desk but it looks haphazard. I also know I didn't want bulky drawers to store my incoming set of 60 coloured pencils. So with an open mind, I made a trip to Muji again to see what ideas I can find and indeed it didn't disappoint.


I chanced upon the Muji PP File Box series with coordinating Pen Pocket holders (those little compartments on the inside of my file box, and the larger one hanging outside). I found this system incredibly versatile because I can choose to hang stationery inside or outside the box.


Also because I bought a book on washi tape x coloured pencil art, I was also looking out for steel edged plastic rulers and was so stoked to find one at Muji! The author suggested getting a clear ruler with a steel edge so you can see where you are cutting.

I've also had the habit of keeping my journal, planner and sketchbook on the desk standing against the wall next to my desk so having a large holder to store those seems to click immediately.


So here is the 'storage caddy' in use at the very edge of my desk. I love how clean it looks and can't wait to have my new pencils sorted in as well, together with a pop up colour chart for easy reference. I didn't plan to have my multi liners there but found it's so much better having them displayed instead of kept hidden in a pencil case all but forgotten. Yes, this stage in my life I have been forgetting to use my drawing materials. :(

Before this trip to Muji I also visited Tokyu Hands to get ideas, but was so disappointed by their lack of stationery holders. :/ Stationery galore, but storage there was only some overpriced round tin can and a set of colourful wooden holders. However, I did come across the King Jim Masking Tape Case and got it to store incoming washi tapes for future projects. It looks like the below.


It is made of sturdy hard paper and opens and closes like a box with 4 'shelves' to store 60 washi tapes. I currently only have the first row filled but with the free agent fee promotion at Ezbuy I've ordered 35 more rolls because the prices were so low! Will share better photos of my storage and display soon!

0 comments:

Post a Comment